from the Green Market Baking Book
1/4 cup ground flax (i used flax seeds and some flour, but my bars are crumbly. use ground flax if you have it)
1/4 cup water
2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup whole grain spelt flour (this is a flour with less gluten and more absorbency. if you don’t have it, you could use normal flour and take out some liquid in the recipe)
1 3/4 cups total of chopped dried apples, cranberries, cherries, chocolate chips, coconut, etc
1/4 chopped almonds, walnuts, etc
pinch of sea salt
1/4 cup EVOO
3/4 cup brown rice syrup (I used maple syrup—DELISH)
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine the ground flax and water to form a paste. set aside.
3. in a separate bowl, thoroughly mix together the dry ingredients.
4. In a third bowl (or just a measuring cup) mix together the olive oil and brown rice (maple) syrup. add the flax paste.
5. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and incorporate well.
6. Pour the batter into and 11x7 1/2 inch baking pan, pressing the mixture down firmly. bake for abut 25 minutes, or until edges are golden.
7. Let rest about 10 minutes until slightly cool, then cut.
enjoy—you are now free from processed cardboard crap bars from the store.